Review: Dresden Files: Down Town

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Down Town - Mark Powers, Carlos Gómez, Stjepan Sejic, Jim Butcher

As a long time fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, I'm amazed that I somehow missed picking up a graphic novel until now... And I'm so glad I finally decided to read this! Down Town collects all six issues of this story into one volume, including bonus material at the end with character sketches and original line art.

The nice thing about Down Town is that it can be enjoyed by both those familiar with the Dresden Files series as well as those new to the books. Then author and artist do a great job of giving enough background to set this scene and introduce characters without making it feel like they're rehashing previous tales. This graphic novel includes not only Harry Dresden, but also a great supporting cast, including Mouse, Mister, and Bob, as well as Molly (Harry's apprentice), Karrin Murphy, and the Baron of Chicago, Johnny Marcone.

The artwork is this graphic novel is great, full of action but also remaining beautifully detailed. This story is centered on Harry, Molly, and Malone, and I loved the opportunity to see how the author views Molly and Malone, but especially Molly. Her facial expressions are just perfect... You can really see the pain and uncertainty at times, as well as the satisfaction when she's happy with what she's accomplished. She's growing to be one of my favorite characters, so I loved the opportunity to see more of her and build a mental image.

If you're a fan of fantasy, graphic novels, or already love Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, I recommend picking this up. It's currently available for pre-order with a scheduled release of October 15.

I received an advance reader copy of this graphic novel from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.